Friday, February 28, 2014

Homemade Ketchup




For the month of February, I gave myself a challenge: Don't buy any groceries except dairy products for the entire  month.

And then, within just a few days...I had run out of ketchup and I was cursing myself for being so dumb.  WHAT was I thinking?

Then, I realized that trying out homemade ketchup has been on my to-do for a very long time and I just had never gotten around to it.  Now seemed the perfect time since it was either go without for an entire month or get it done.

I got it done. 

And then Matt tasted it.

And now I will probably have to 'get it done' for the rest of my days.

This is a winning recipe...tastes delicious.  Lacks the high fructose corn syrup. Whips up in about five minutes or less.  Uses simple ingredients that you likely already have in your cupboard. 
Makes about 1 1/2 pints.

I give you~

Homemade Ketchup

Ingredients:

  • 12 oz can tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup honey (you can also just use sugar)
  • 1 cup white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder

Directions:

Combine all the ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat; whisk until smooth.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love this, and will have to try it! Have already made home made mayo, cause of the cost...so now I can make ketchup as well! Thanks!

Jennifer

CTMOM said...

Oh wow! thank you for posting this recipe! I got a link off of another blog and this recipe came at the perfect time. I just discovered that I need ketchup for a recipe tomorrow, but won't have enough. I will be on unpaid leave soon, and am a single Mom. I've slashed my budget for the 4 of us to $200/mo, and we're eating down the pantry/freezer. I had everything on hand to mix up this ketchup. I am set for tomorrow, and don't have to hit the store (actually, I'd have to ask someone to go as I can't drive as I am recovering from surgery)
Carol in CT
Ctonabudget.blogspot.com

Joy said...

Your kitchen is cool! I think I see a pantry off to the back? I like the wood floors and how this is not one of those all-modern, all-white, expensive kitchens!