When I first found this recipe, I was looking for a dish to prepare for some friends of ours that were vegetarians. I got all the ingredients because it sounded so good to me. Matt saw the artichokes on the counter and said, "WHAT are THESE!?!?" The conversation that followed went something like this...
Matt: "WHAT are these?!?!"
Sugarbear: "They are marinated artichokes. When Nate and Julie come, I am making spinach and artichoke lasagna."
Matt: "Well, I am not going to eat it!"
Sugarbear: "WHY not?!?!"
Matt: "Because I don't EAT artichokes. I don't like them."
Sugarbear: "Have you ever HAD them before?"
Well. I made it anyway. And know what? After the first bite-he proclaimed this to be his FAVORITE lasagna...even beating out (brace yourselves...) MEAT lasagna! So-even if you can't bear the thought of eating artichokes, this recipe might just surprise you. It did Matt!
Here it is, courtesy of allrecipes.com
- cooking spray
- 9 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 (14 ounce) can marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
- 1 (28 ounce) jar tomato pasta sauce
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 (4 ounce) package herb and garlic feta, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add noodles and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium-high. Saute onion and garlic for 3 minutes, or until onion is tender-crisp. Stir in broth and rosemary; bring to a boil. Stir in artichoke hearts and spinach; reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in pasta sauce.
- Spread 1/4 of the artichoke mixture in the bottom of the prepared baking dish; top with 3 cooked noodles. Sprinkle 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese over noodles. Repeat layers 2 more times, ending with artichoke mixture and mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle crumbled feta on top.
- Bake, covered, for 40 minutes. Uncover, and bake 15 minutes more, or until hot and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.