Monday, January 14, 2008

Chai Tea



This is not so much a recipe as it is an idea. One that didn't come to me until I was given a cup of this at the house of one of my dear friends.

I am sort of addicted.

What you do is make a chai tea concentrate and store it in a large pickle jar in the fridge. Then, whenever you get the hunkering, simply fill up a mug 1/3 the way with tea concentrate, fill it the rest of the way up with milk and then heat it in the microwave for 2 minutes.

If you want to be especially sinful, pour just a splash of heavy cream in it-that makes a heavenly, creamy froth on the top. Sprinkle with nutmeg-and with the first sip will come an audible sigh of contentment.

Concentrate:

10 chai teabags ( LOVE the vanilla ones. And the chocolate enchantment...let's just say-enchanting...)
1 cup sugar or 1 1/2 depending on taste
1 quart water.

Boil water. When water is at a rolling bowl, remove from heat. Add teabags and steep for 8 minutes or so. Mix in sugar while still very hot and stir until dissolved. Store the concentrate in the fridge.

It is really wonderful. I know, I have been happily sipping away at my steaming mug while blogging ALL the of these recipes!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Abigail said...

Chai is also one of my all-time favorites. I was introduced to it during college when a friend of mine, newly returned from Tanzania, concocted a batch from scratch for me. Scrumptious!

I've written down from-scratch recipes before but haven't gotten around to actually making one yet. I, too, use the convenient bags, and I add so much sugar it's practically a dessert!

Come back to ChaiVille! Come back!!!

Anonymous said...

I found a recipe that is chai concentrate a different way. You take one can of sweetened condensed milk and add the chai spices to that (if I wasn't so lazy, I'd get up and find the recipe and copy down the proportions). Refrigerate. When you get the craving, brew a strong cup of black tea and add a few spoons of the concentrate. Delicious!!
p.s. I found your blog through Meredith at Like Merchant Ships.