Friday, February 28, 2014

Homemade Tomato Soup

 
Last year, in a desperate attempt to get caught up on preserving chores, I decide to can a bunch of whole tomatoes in addition to my typical salsas and sauces. I didn't know exactly what I would do with them but I figured this winter I'd figure out SOMETHING to do with them. 

Because let's face it- when your kitchen looks like this for the day: 


...you don't need to have anything in mind.  You just need to get to work.  And fast.

Well, winter is here and I just so happened to find a great use for them.  Homemade Tomato Soup.

I never thought that I would prefer homemade tomato soup because I grew up on Campbells and my tastebuds have grown used to the sweet, vague taste of tomato that the can of Campbells provides. 

I didn't stray too far from the Plain Jane version (you may add dill or cilantro or other herbs if you like) only because I wanted to try to recreate the storebought version.  I was pleasantly surprised that even a properly brainwashed tongue like mine would appreciate and love the taste of this homemade soup.

This soup is creamy.  It is fresh tasting.  It does not contain high fructose corn syrup.  It uses up those quarts (and quarts) of whole tomatoes.  And it is ready to eat in five minutes flat.

 SCORE!

(This soup does have seeds in it- which I thought would bother me but it doesn't at all. There is your forewarning. )

Homemade Tomato Soup
(this recipe makes enough for four bowls of soup.  Double it to feed 6-8 people.)

~ I QT jar of whole canned tomatoes
~1/3 cup tomato paste (or 1/2 of 6 oz. can)
~1 cup water
~1 t. minced onion
~ 3 t. lemon juice
~ 1 T. sugar
~ 1 1/2 c. milk

Combine all ingredients except milk in a saucepan over medium high heat until boiling.  Add milk.  Use an immersion blender to blend the tomatoes and make the soup smooth.  

Enjoy!


2 comments:

Namma said...

Thanks so much for posting this! I was going to ask if you would, but others beat me to it, apparently. I don't have home canned tomatoes, but hopefully good quality store-bought ones will work as well. I can hardly bring myself to eat Campbell's tomato soup, after reading the label, so am thrilled to have a good and easy substitute I can make at home.

Suzie

Rhonda said...

Hi Rebecca, I like the sound of both your tomato soup and ketchup and have pinned both of them.
And I love your vintage, busy and very interesting kitchen. If you were closer, I would have to come visit in real life, but I will just be thankful for the internet and cyber visits.